Sunday, March 17, 2013

Elvis, an antebellum house, and the tale of two sofas

The Cherry Blossom Festival opened in Macon this past weekend, and as part of the event’s free musical offerings, an Elvis impersonator performed Friday night.  Ella insisted that we attend since the price was right (free), so we sat and watched “Elvis” sing and strut his stuff much to the delight of the ladies in the crowd.  Toward the end of the show, he mentioned that he would be signing autographs and selling CDs after his last number.

Huh?  An Elvis impersonator selling CDs?  My question is why would anyone pay $15 for a CD of an Elvis impersonator when they could buy a real Elvis CD off Amazon for around $4?

I pondered that question for a bit, but never could come up with a good answer.
Elsewhere in my little corner of the world, we went to yard sales on Saturday morning, which, for the most part, were disappointing.  The highlight, though, was an estate sale in one of Macon's largest antebellum homes.  I actually was excited about seeing the inside of this beautiful home, which I had only seen from the road while growing up in Macon. 
This antebellum house looks good from the road; up close, not so much
Excitement, though, turned to disbelief when I got to see the house up close.  The house was extremely run down, with peeling paint on the columns, water stains on the porch roof, and uneven floors throughout.  Buyers didn’t get to see the upstairs, but I imagine it was just as bad upstairs as down.  I bought a few things, but walked away unimpressed with this historic house.

At another estate sale, I picked up about 10 vintage automobile books.  I also scanned a book about French furniture, and almost dropped my scanner when it showed a price of $175.  I quickly added that book to my pile.  It’s a cliché, but you really can’t judge a book by its cover.

The rest of my free time over the weekend was spent either listing, or trying to help Ella pick out a new couch. She’s torn between two difference sofas, and like a good husband, I’m leaving the decision totally up to her so she can’t blame me if she doesn’t like the one she ends up with.
Have a great week everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment