Monday, March 5, 2012

Monday Musings - The garage sale that wasn't

Saturday was pretty much a washout around here.  We got to a school sale, and a couple of individual sales before the bottom fell out of the sky.  It was nice to go home early for a change on Saturday, though, even if it did rain all day.

Saturday evening, Ella mentioned a Sunday electronics yard sale, featuring a flat screen TV and video games, that was advertised on Craigslist.  Now, I usually like to sleep later on Sunday, but the siren song of potential inventory was just too strong.  So, I set my alarm clock for 6 a.m., determined to be at the sale early.  We left the house shortly after 7 a.m., and were sitting in front of the sale location at approximately 7:30 a.m.  Unfortunately, the house was dark, and the garage was shut.   I double-checked my address, and decided that they probably would open the garage door closer to 8 a.m.

About 7:45 a.m., the front door opened, and an older gentleman carrying a newspaper wandered down the stairs, oblivious to the strange car (ours) sitting in front of his house.  I lowered my window, and said, “excuse me.”

Bewildered, he looked up, and shuffled over to the car. I asked him when the sale was going to start.  The look of bewilderment returned, and he said that he didn’t know anything about a yard sale.  I showed him the print-out from Craigslist.  He studied it for a moment, and mentioned that the contact person listed on the ad wasn’t there.  Confused, but ever polite, I thank him, and apologized for sitting out in front of his house.  He then got in his car, and pulled out of his driveway.  Before leaving, he pulled beside our car, and lowered his window, and said, “His wife wasn’t going to let him sell the TV anyway.”

So, we left. I was irritated not only because we wasted the $3.75 per gallon gas to go, but also, and more importantly, because I got up early for no reason on a Sunday morning.

On the bright side, though, getting up early let me get a lot work done, including packing all my items sold, and listing quite a few books and goodies on eBay.  In addition, items kept selling across multiple venues, which always improves my mood.

But now it's Monday, and back to my 8 to 5.  My weekends just go by too fast.

No comments:

Post a Comment