Tuesday, November 19, 2013

I hate it when that happens

Last week, in an attempt to remove some deadwood from my Ebay store inventory, I transitioned several “Buy It Now” items to a three-day auction format, including a box of medical books. 

It worked, and the books sold for a whopping $9.99 plus shipping.  My delight quickly turned to apprehension, though, when I couldn’t locate the box in my Ebay storage area.  After a long day, I’m prone to overlook things, so I asked Ella to take a look.  She, too, came up empty handed.

Crap.

A meticulous search of both my Ebay and Amazon inventory areas ensued, with the same result.  The box somehow had disappeared.  More likely, though, it had gotten mixed up with my piles of unlisted inventory, and was buried somewhere.

I blamed Ella since she shelves all my inventory.  Ella blamed me for not labeling the box properly.  I wanted to blame Duc and the dogs.

Obviously, though, the buck stops with me.  My fault, my error, my complete lack of inventory control.

Since it was rapidly approach my bedtime (yes, I have a bedtime), and I had other items to pack, I abandoned the search, refunded the buyer’s money, begged forgiveness, and hoped that he/she wouldn’t leave negative feedback.

I’m a perfectionist, at least when it comes to my online business, so this lapse really bothers me.  However, given that I am real good about giving advice to other sellers, I need to follow my own sage words of wisdom:

Forget it.  Move on.  Make sure it doesn’t happen again.

I’m still looking for a way to blame the dogs, though.

3 comments:

  1. I hate when that happens too! And I don't even have any dogs to blame! I have interrogated the kids though! :) ~~Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for this post! I am so glad that I am not the only one this happens to. Worst part is when I find the item after I have gone through the whole refund and apology thing. I then wait a couple weeks before I relist the item :0

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keeping track of inventory is probably the most difficult part of this business. I too am a perfectionist so it would bother me too, but I know that it is best to apologize, move on and forget about it.

    ReplyDelete