Friday, January 27, 2012

Diligence (Sell Hard or Go Home)


I recently joined a gym for the first time in my mostly flabby 48 years.  Needless to say, it was a shock to my system, but I was determined to become a lean, mean, selling machine.  Walking on the treadmill gave me a lot of time to think, and as my mind wandered, I began to think how going to the gym is a lot like selling online.

To achieve their sculpted physiques, the “hard bodies” in the gym set a training schedule, honed their routines, watched their diet, and, most of all, worked hard. Once a week in aerobics class obviously wasn’t going to cut it. They had to be diligent about their workouts. As the gym owner’s T-shirt says, “Train Hard or Go Home.”

The same philosophy can be applied to online selling, and, more importantly, inventory scouting.  We all have our sources, but how often do you actually check them. Once a week? Once a month? When you have the time? Do you go to yard sales on Saturdays?  Do you visit nearby communities to scope out new sources?

Do you treat online selling as a business? Do you have business cards? Do you devote a set amount of time each day to your business? Do you keep good records? Do you set goals?

Like bodybuilding, to be truly successful at online selling, you have to view your activity as a serious endeavor, and you have to treat it the same way. A lackadaisical approach may garner you limited success, and a few sales, but in the long run, a diligent and systematic approach will ensure your success.

Ellen DeGeneres once said that “I really don’t think I need buns of steel. I’d be happy with buns of cinnamon.”

So, when it comes to online sales, do you want steel buns or cinnamon buns?

No comments:

Post a Comment