Friday, January 6, 2012

Welcome to My World

It was inevitable.

After lurking and reading blog upon blog upon blog, I just couldn't resist throwing my virtual hat into the online blog arena of professional Amazon and eBay sellers.

First, though, I guess I should share a little information about myself.  I'm a 40ish technical editor for an engineering firm who yearns to escape the confines of the 8 to 5 workday.  To that end, for the last few years, I have built a decent business on Amazon (http://www.barrysbookshop.com/), and have dabbled on eBay.  However, as decent selling books became harder and hard to find, a subject I will address in a later post, I opened an eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/barrysbookshop) and quickly achieved Power Seller and Top Rated Seller status.

Obviously, I am proud of my accomplishments, if you can call them that, but as all of you know, online selling is not easy.  It is very time consuming and energy draining. Since I do work the 8 to 5 shift daily, obviously all my online work occurs in the wee hours of the morning, prior to bed time, or, of course, weekends (and holidays).

My day starts at 4:30 a.m.  Dragging out of bed, I stumble to my office to check on overnight sales.  I usually have at least one or two Amazon items to pack and ship, and, with any luck, an eBay item or two.  So, between 4:30 and 6:30 a.m., I locate, pack, and get ready to ship all items, and shave, shower, and shine for my 8 hours in the non-online working world.  Thankfully, I have a short commute (about 10 minutes), so I am at my desk by 7 a.m.   During lunch, I drop all my packages off at the post office, and peruse the local Goodwill. Salvation Army Thrift Store, or any garage sale occuring (if it's Friday).  After lunch, I work until 4, head home, and, after spending a little quality time with the family (wife and two dogs), I retire to the office for more packing and, if I have the energy, listing other items to sell.

On Saturdays during yard sale season, I'm also up by 5:30ish, and out the door by 6:30ish.  I usually don't return home until early afternoon.  On Saturday afternoons, I try to relax, but usually end up working on something.

On Sunday, I get to sleep a little later, then its household chores, and listing what I bought on Saturday.

Monday starts it all over again.

Not glamorous, but it pays the bills, and allows my wife to be a homemaker.

Of course, I'm always searching for ways to increase my online income, and searching out new sources of inventory.  I'll comment on these topics in blogs to come.

So, for now, I'll just say hello...and welcome to my world.

1 comment:

  1. Hello ... Just stumbled upon your blog. I had to comment because your day sounds a lot like mine used to be when I worked. I retired in 12/2008 and have focued more on my eBay store. But honestly my days are consumed with my online business. It's what helps supplement my fixed-income and helps pay the bills. Glad you started blogging and am now a follower!

    ReplyDelete